Website Manager

Claremont Little League

Claremont Little League

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where can I get one of those fancy concussion forms I need to sign?

A: You can get it by clicking here, but don't forget to read it first before signing it.  It's got good stuff in there.

Q: The registration cost seems high, where does all that money go?

Note [1]: Miscellaneous includes, but not limited to safety, financial and banking services, administrative costs, clinics, donation expense, and dues and subscriptions.
Note [2]: Fall Expenses include uniforms, equipment, and umpires for the fall season.
Note: Items such as Snack Bar, Apparel Sales, and Yearbooks have a corresponding revenue source that generates additional funds for league.

Q: My family lives just outside the city limits of Claremont. Can my son/daughter play in Claremont Little League?

A: In most cases, NO. However, there are two small sections of Pomona that are part of Claremont Little League’s boundaries. Those that live in those areas can play in CLL. To find out if you live in CLL's boundaries, head over the Little League's League Finder page and enter your address.  Our charter with Little League, Inc. does not allow us to take in players from outside of our boundaries. Since all of the areas surrounding Claremont have Little League programs, players in our league must live within the Claremont Little League boundaries. This is not our rule, but is Little League International rule that we must follow. Note that in 2014, a new rule was put into effect that allows children attending Claremont schools to play in Claremont Little League. See the question below about attending Claremont schools for clarification on this rule. To download the special form you need to fill out if you don't live in Claremont but go to a Claremont school, click here.

Q: What are the number of days and hours per week that are expected of a little league player in the Spring season?  

A: Practices start in late January/early February and most teams practice 1-3 days a week.  Beginning in March, T-ball division will have one game on Saturdays and one practice during the week.  For all other divisions (Farm, JV, Minors, Majors, and Juniors) most teams will have one practice and two games per week. In most cases you play one game on a weeknight (typically Wednesday to Friday) and one game on Saturday, but there are some weeks when you may play twice during the week (Example: Wednesday and Friday).  For all weekday games at College park, the Farm and JV divisions usually play near the 4pm hour, and the minors and majors divisions routinely play at 6:30pm during the week. Our Juniors division times vary based on the availability of lights at the other District 20 fields. CLL Griffith Park Junior Divisions field doesn't have lights and games are played before dark. 


Q: How do I determine my son or daughter's league age?

A: Use the chart below:



2023 Little League Age Chart


Match month (top line) and box with year of birth. League age indicated at right.

2019 2019 2019 2019 2019 2019 2019 2019 2018 2018 2018 2018 4
2018 2018 2018 2018 2018 2018 2018 2018 2017 2017 2017 2017 5
2017 2017 2017 2017 2017 2017 2017 2017 2016 2016 2016 2016 6
2016 2016 2016 2016 2016 2016 2016 2016 2015 2015 2015 2015 7
2015 2015 2015 2015 2015 2015 2015 2015 2014 2014 2014 2014 8
2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2013 2013 2013 2013 9
2013 2013 2013 2013 2013 2013 2013 2013 2012 2012 2012 2012 10
2012 2012 2012 2012 2012 2012 2012 2012 2011 2011 2011 2011 11
2011 2011 2011 2011 2011 2011 2011 2011 2010 2010 2010 2010 12
2010 2010 2010 2010 2010 2010 2010 2010 2009 2009 2009 2009 13
2009 2009 2009 2009 2009 2009 2009 2009 2008 2008 2008 2008 14
2008 2008 2008 2008 2008 2008 2008 2008 2007 2007 2007 2007 15
2007 2007 2007 2007 2007 2007 2007 2007 2006 2006 2006 2006 16

Q: What is considered valid proof of residency documentation?

A: Click here to download/view a document showing detailed information on what is considered valid proof of residency documentation.

Q: My son/daughter was not born in this country, how do I provide proof-of-age documentation?

A: Click here to download/view a document showing detailed information on what is acceptable proof of age documentation.

Q: My son/daughter goes to school in Claremont and is cared for by a relative in Claremont. If he/she isn’t allowed to sign up with Claremont Little League he/she won’t be able to play baseball. May we sign them up?

A: The answer to this used to be no but a new rule was put into effect in 2014.  Where a child goes to school can now be used to determine elgibility.  There are some documentation requirements (click here for a the full text of the changed rule) but generally speaking, if your son or daughter is enrolled full time in a K-12 school (ie. no preschools) in the CLL boundary (this includes all CUSD schools as well as the Web Schools and Western Christian's Claremont Campus) and can show proof of enrollment, you should be able to play in Claremont Little League. You'll also need to fill out a special form that you can get by clicking here.

Q: The league where I live has agreed to give a release to my son/daughter so that they can play in Claremont Little League; may we sign up?

A: Again, the answer is no. A league cannot “release” a player to play somewhere else.

Q: Is it possible to obtain a waiver to allow a player from outside of Claremont to play in our league?

A: The only time a waiver will be granted is if the player lived and played in Claremont Little League the previous year and then moved outside of the city limits. Little League International. will grant a waiver in this circumstance.

Q: My son/daughter and his/her best friend/family member (not a sibling) want to play on the same team, can that be arranged? Or, for carpool/daycare reasons we need to have our son/daughter and another child on the same team?

A: We can generally make this accommodation for the T-ball and Farm divisions. The person registering needs to write on the registration form that they would like to be on the same team as x (name of other player). It is better if both families put this on their registration forms. With the JV, Minor, and Major divisions the family can still write the request on the registration. That preference will be listed on the draft sheet, but there is no guarantee that we will be able to accommodate. We encourage the coaches to take both players, but it is not required.

Q: We want our son/daughter to play or not to play for a certain manager, can that be arranged?

A: Again, the answer is similar to the question above. In the lower divisions (T-Ball & Farm) we can usually accommodate this request. However, in the upper divisions (JV, Minor, Major,) it is up to the coach when selecting his/her team. The family should still write the request on the registration form. If they don’t want their child playing for a particular manager, then they need to also write that on the form. Again, it is not guaranteed, but usually a manager will not select a child that doesn’t want to play for him/her.

Q: My child and his/her sibling are eligible for the same division. Will they be placed on the same team?

A: Siblings eligible for the same division will be placed on the same team unless the parents specifically request that they be placed on separate teams.

Q: How do I get more information about volunteering?  What forms do I need to fill out/sign?

A: Turns out, we have a page specifically for that.  Click here to get to that page to get all the details.

Q: What kind of helmets can we use?

A: You can use NOCSAE Certified, non-mirror-like.  No stickers may be put on the helmets unless they came with the helmet or have manufacturer authorization. 

Q: What kind of bats can we use?

A: Metal bats must have USA Baseball stamp and be the proper size for the division of play.  Wood bats are also permissible if they meet the size requirements. For more information on bats click HERE.

Q: Can we use batting donuts?

A: Batting Donuts are NOT allowed.  Batting Sleeves are permitted. 

Q: Are there specific types of Catcher equipment required?

A: Catchers must use a catcher’s glove and wear an approved catcher’s helmet with a dangling throat guard.  Male catchers must wear a cup.

A: Can we use metal cleats?

Q: Metal Cleats are NOT permitted (until Intermediate level or above).  In Intermediate level or above, metal cleats are not permitted when pitching on portable mounds.

Q: Can a player wear any jewelry on the field?

A: Players are not permitted to wear jewelry such as, but not limited to, rings, watches, earrings, bracelets, and necklaces. The only exception is jewelry that alerts medical personnel to a specific condition. Sunglasses are permitted.

Q: Are pitchers allowed to wear arm sleeves?

A: A baseball pitcher can wear an arm sleeve, but it must be fully covered by an undershirt. And any part of the pitcher’s undershirt that can be seen must be a solid color, and the sleeves cannot be white or gray. A softball pitcher may wear and arm sleeve but is not required to cover it. Also, a pitcher cannot wear any items on his/her hands, wrists, or arms which may be distracting to the hitter. So, if your child plays baseball and wants to use an arm sleeve on the mound, keep a long-sleeved dark-color undershirt on hand.

Q: What exactly is the mandatory play rule?

A: During regular season play, every rostered player present at the start of a game will participate in each game for a minimum of six defensive outs (basically, two full innings in the field, however those six outs do not need to be consecutive) and bat at least one time for regular season games.

Q: Can my son or daughter use a bat weight on the bat to prepare for an at-bat?

A: No. The traditional batting donut is not permissible, but a weighted bat sleeve is. In addition, the on-deck position is not permitted in the Little League (Major) Division and below.

Q: Why does Little League have pitch count regulations for baseball?

A: The answer is simple – to protect young arms. Player safety is paramount, and we’re proud of the regulations we’ve put in place. The healthier Little Leaguers® are, the more games they’ll play, which results in them having more fun with their friends. Pitch count rules differ for several divisions. Please visit Regular Season Pitching Rules for more information and be sure to alert your team’s manager if your child pitches in youth baseball programs other that Little League.

Q: What does an uncaught third strike mean?

A: Often called a “Dropped Third Strike,” this is when a batter becomes a runner after the third strike called by an umpire, or a pitch is swung on and missed by a batter, is not caught by the catcher. For the hitter to be eligible as a runner, however, first base must be unoccupied, or first base is occupied with two outs. To put the batter-runner out, the defense must tag the batter or first base before the batter touches first base. An uncaught third strike does not apply to play below the Little League (Major) Division.

Q: During a play at home plate, does a runner have to avoid the catcher, whether he or she is sliding or not?

A: A play at the plate is no different than a play at any other base. A player must slide or attempt to avoid the defensive player. 

Q: Can players wear sunglasses on the top of their hat?

A: Yes.

Q: Can I request to not have a specific manager?

A: Parents may request to have one manager "blocked" from selecting their child during the draft process. This request needs to be in writing, detailing the reason for their request. The request must be submitted to either the league president, player agent or division representative for approval no later than 5 calendar days prior to the draft. The league president may use discretion to grant or deny the request.  A new request must be submitted each season.

Q: What division would my player play in?

A: General guidelines for age breakdown per divisions are as follows:
Juniors -15,14,13
Intermediate -13
Majors -12,11,10
Minors -11,10,9
JV -10,9,8
Farm -8,7,6
T-Ball -6,5,4

Specific information about divisions can be found HERE in the Draft Rules.
Any specific requests need to be made in writing and sent to the Player Agent.


Claremont Little League
112 Harvard Ave, #223
Claremont, California 91711

Phone: 909-239-7036
Email: [email protected]

Copyright © 2024 Claremont Little League  |  Privacy Statement |  Terms Of Use |  License Agreement |  Children's Privacy Policy  Log In